Unlike HarmoniMD®, most EHR systems on the market today have a set structure: Rather than adapting to your unique needs, they require that you adapt to them. This leads to a very common complaint amongst doctors, and one reason they have grown to dislike EHRs: there are far too many screens they are required to click through to get to what they need. The information is buried so deep, in so many different places, it becomes a waste of their time.
The problem is that most databases that EHRs are built on are inflexible. They simply cannot be modified to reflect your unique workflows or the differing needs of your staff. As you well know, an admission clerk within your organization needs something very different in an EHR than an Emergency Room physician, or than an administrator worrying about controlling costs. Most EHRs simply cannot address these diverse needs.
How do you meet all of these very different needs within your organization when most EHR systems take a “one size fits all” approach? You must insist that the EHR take the revolutionary approach of adapting to YOU rather than requiring that you adapt to IT, which is the approach HarmoniMD takes.
When an EHR adapts to your workflows, this becomes a strong contributing factor in making the software very easy to learn and use. The process of adapting this new technology becomes organic and intuitive. Since it is presented in a familiar way, within the context of workflows staff already understand and have used daily for years, it is not intimidating. In fact, it is quite approachable.
When an EHR adapts to the unique needs of different personnel, this creates a more secure environment for patient data, since staff only see the data they need to see to do their job.
When an EHR adapts to the needs of each department, this supports staff in providing the best patient care possible, saves time and money, and streamlines services.
Here are some points to consider when evaluating an EHR:
Does the EHR—
- map to your work flow?
- allow for the design of custom user interfaces?
- allow for creating new fields specific to your needs and/or renaming fields using terminology that makes more sense to your staff?
- have the ability to create screens that present different information to different personnel?
- allow the Patient Chart to display different information depending on who is looking at it? (For example, the Admission clerk does not need to see vital signs and the Emergency Room physician does not need to see the billing address.)
- allow for customized reports?
- allow for customized electronic documents which incorporate your practice protocols?
- allow only certain personnel to have access to certain reports, certain documents and certain information in the Patient Chart?
- display information in different languages? (For example, many times electronic consent forms need to be shown in a second language that is the primary language for many patients—allowing the patient to sign on a tablet and save their digital signature.)
- allow staff to get to the information they need quickly, in very few clicks, ideally one?
These are just a few examples. Take some time to consider what unique needs your organization has, both in its workflow and for specific staff, and make a list of your own questions.
Because of HarmoniMD®’s unique “building block” structure, its functionality, fields, documents and reports can be put together in any combination needed. Perhaps even more importantly, customized user-interfaces are very easily created.
Our module-based design allows you to select the software components that you want to include for each department. For example, the Admission Module can include the specific submenus and data needed for admission tasks. This will look very different than the Emergency Room Module for a nurse, or even the Emergency Room Module for a doctor. Based on our experience working with hospitals and clinics, we can suggest how these modules look and work. (In other words, you don’t have to start from scratch.) But—and this is the critical point— we can modify any module to address your unique needs.
Our exclusive Electronic Clinical Document technology further contributes to the ease of use of the system. Beyond converting any paper form into an electronic version, it has the power to guide a clinician through a Patient Chart and offer the best clinical practices, based on the organization’s protocols. This unique technology not only increases the efficiency of care, but also the quality and effectiveness of care. To learn more about HarmoniMD’s power to address your unique workflows and staff needs and transform your organization through improved care coordination, decision making, and overall better health care, please contact us today!